Re: [News] Microsoft Does Not Trust Vista Code; People Encouraged to Keep Old Code

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Robert Newson
<ReapNewsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:02:06 GMT
<45BE7D68.9000402@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Vista: fit for purpose...
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | No, software should have at least a limited "fitness for purpose?"
>
> What's /limited/ got to do with it?

Well, Vista's *very* limited, from what reports I've seen... :-)
Especially Basic Edition.

> Sale of Goods Act (?) /REQUIRES/ goods to be fit for purpose.

Is software a good?  An interesting question.  At this
point my head begins to hurt as I contemplate the
surrealism of the underlying metaphor -- erm, I mean,
try to analyze the difference between

- buying physical media (CDs, DVDs, DATs, 1/4" tapes, floppies,
  sci-fi crystal cubes, rocks, wooden sticks, ...)
- buying the bits on that media (pits, magnetic domains,
  paintspots, notches, ...)
- buying a license for using the bits on that media
  (GPL, LGPL, GFDL, Mozilla's PL, JPL -- oh, wait, that's
  part of NASA -- QPL, Microsoft's well-oiled EULA, ...)

Which is the good(s) part?

Granted, you guys Across The Pond(tm) have a slightly
different perspective of things; I'd frankly have to look
here in the Untied Red And Blue States of Amurkia, and
with my luck it depends on what county, parish, borough,
or precinct one makes the purchase in, never mind what
*state*.

Ow.  Aspirin.  Ow.  Aspirin.

> However, as I have to keep pointing out: what you
> buy when you buy "Windwos" is /NOT/ Windwos *BUT* a /LICENCE TO USE/
> Windwos.  As a result, Windwos can quite legally fail to be fit for purpose
> (of safe web browsing, emailing, not being a zombie, etc) as it's the
> /Licence/ that you've bought and that /IS/ fit for purpose - of letting you
> use Windwos.  Kinda makes a mockery of the law, dunnit - follows the letter,
> not the spirit.

Microsoft's pretty good at that.  Witness their NT POSIX
system, for example.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  Because it's not a question of if.
It's a question of when.