Re: [News] Open Sourcing Leads to Freelancing

> http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/01/post_4.html
>
> Independence, creativity, and self expression. Linux unshackles the users,
> freeing it from software vendors and potentially from employers as well. The
> middleman layer is cut, so people can work directly with client. Free as in
> freedom. It's also more affordable. Ask Thad.

I'll certainly second that.  My girlfriend and I both telecommute.
She does Linux support for a local ISP and I'm now doing kernel
hacking for a major embedded OS company.  We both consult through
my own corporation (GLACI, Inc.), which allows a lot of flexibility
and tax benefits.  I used to work the job boards pretty heavily to
find the work, but I've now established myself well enough that the
work pretty much hunts me down instead.  By living modestly and
investing wisely, we've almost reached the point where we can pretty
much work when we like and on what we like.

I won't claim this life is for everyone.  There is always more risk
in being an independent operator... though that gap seems to have
narrowed as companies are much more prone to spontaneous down-sizing
these days.  That has actually been a boon to us independents as
the companies then make up the difference with consultants after they
realize they've cut too deep.  The important thing is to keep a rather
large rainy-day fund for those inevitable down-times between
contracts.  Also, you need to be at least as good at communication
and salesmanship as you are at the technical stuff.  Stay in touch
with past business contacts and be always on the look-out for
potential work.  Learn the art of writing proposals... lots of them.
Most won't result in immediate work, but every single one expands
your name recognition and may often plant a seed for future work.

It does cost a bit more to carry your own benefits, but you also
have a wider range of options and usually a larger hourly rate to
pay for them.  It is definitely worth getting a good accountant to
help you with the taxes, retirement planning, and so on.

I'm pretty much living my dream right now... not completely but
almost there.  I still work more on other people's projects than
my own, but that could change in only another year or so.  I'm
still banking consulting dollars in anticipation of the new
building we plan to purchase and renovate, but once that is
complete, the 'dream' could become a full reality; living off
investments while working on only our own projects.

Later,

Thad