[News] BT Still in Hot Waters Over GPL/Linux Violations

BT says 'enough' on GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| BT has published much of the relevant code here and clearly believes
| it has done more than enough to comply with the GPL.
|
| But the Free Software Foundation Europe remains unimpressed.
|
| They told us: "Armijn Hemel of gpl-violations.org analysed the
| source code and said that some of the necessary code is missing.
| For example, a top level Makefile and the scripts that would be
| used to properly generate a firmware image have not been included.
| A script or file with the uClibc configuration is also mandatory.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/29/bt_says_enough_gpl/

The FSF clearly seems to have an impact. The GPL is enforcable, in contrary
to claims that repeatedly come from Microsoft's mouthpieces (including the
mouthpieces Microsoft has planted in c.o.l.a.).

Related:

Squiz bows to GPL pressure

,----[ Quote ]
| Squiz's statement also claimed the GPL decision illustrated that the
| open source development model could be followed as a successful
| commercial strategy -- instead of the traditional development
| paradigm which requires source code to be kept private and sold for a fee.
|
| "Looking ahead, instead of licensing fees, we will continue to
| sell support services which include warranty, help-desk support
| and uptime guarantees to organisations that need this level of
| certainty, whilst other MySource Matrix users can choose to develop
| and support the product for themselves if that is what they prefer,"
| Squiz director and co-founder Steve Barker said.
|
| Squiz claims around 100 staff located throughout Australia, New
| Zealand and England.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Squiz_bows_to_GPL_pressure/0,130061733,339273081,00.htm?feed=rss
http://tinyurl.com/yhupvc

German GPL defender claims legal victory

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
| case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
| governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
| covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
| make the underlying source code available.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6113453.html?part=rss&tag=6113453&subj=news

GPL, BSD, and NetBSD - why the GPL rocketed Linux to success

,----[ Quote ]
| So while the BSDs have lost energy every time a company gets involved,
| the GPL'ed programs gain every time a company gets involved. And that
| explains it all.
`----

http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2006/09/01/#gpl-bsd

gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by D-Link

,----[ Quote ]
| D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
| distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses a
| Linux-based Operating System.  However, this distribution was incompliant
| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel and
| many other software programs used in the product.
`----

http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html

GPL Successfully Defended in German Court

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/23/1655248

Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: "Just so you know, Daniel Wallace's appeal of the ruling
| against him in his pro se quest to overthrow the GPL on antitrust
| grounds, one of SCO's daydreams too, has been firmly rejected by
| the appeals court, as I knew it would be."
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf

The Devil In The Code: Vendors Vet For Open-Source Compliance

,----[ Quote ]
|  A pair of software companies, Black Duck Software and Palamida, aim to
| alleviate compliance headaches with applications that automatically vet
| code for open-source contributions.
|
| [...]
|
| Palamida won't disclose the size of its customer base, but Black Duck
| has attracted 200 customers plus investments from Intel Capital, Red
| Hat and SAP Ventures. Levin said demand is particularly strong for
| Black Duck's SMB-focused hosted service, which enables developers to
| essentially rent Black Duck's platform and check their code over the
| Web.
`----

http://www.channelweb.com/sections/allnews/article.jhtml?articleId=195200007&cid=ChannelWebNews

How GPL fits in with the future of antitrust regulation

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps when the court boldly declared that "the GPL and open-source
| software have nothing to fear from the antitrust laws," the justices
| could be heard singing the Dire Straits' song Money for Nothing
| under their breath--as people can use Linux for free to make money
| in their business ventures. (They only are precluded from charging
| for making derivative works.)
`----

http://news.com.com/How+GPL+fits+in+with+the+future+of+antitrust+regulation/2010-7344_3-6137894.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc
http://tinyurl.com/yfvdue

Copyright and Linux, GPL patent issues: part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| By allowing developers to copy code for compatibility or
| interoperability purposes, courts separate the value of
| creating new works from the value inherent in existing
| ones. Courts in other countries have recognized this type
| of adaptive work for many years. As discussed earlier,
| markets place a value on software based in part on its
| compatibility and interoperability and its adoption by
| previous consumers, and not just the aesthetic beauty of
| its source code expression or the relative effort of its
| developers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;291094571;fp;2;fpid;3

You change the World 2.0