Re: [News] Microsoft: Vista Has "High Impact" Problems

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:51:29 +0000
<2142393.fkf1hN8HyJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:43 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:32:32 +0000
>> <1933206.OSkNj9q7fs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37125
>>>
>>> According to Jo Foley, going back to her Microsoft-Watch days (she has a
>>> dipute with them now), Fiji was slated to be the next version of Windows,
>>> not a Service Pack.
>>
>> Wow.  It's like they can't aim anywhere else *but* their foot. :-)
>
> There's more on the in Slashdot, with many comments appended. I only found
> out about this after I had quoted the Inquirer's Editor in Chief, which
> isn't as credible. Apparently, "high impact problems" is the way Microsoft
> described Vista's state when addressing testers of the Service Pack.
> Essentially, anyone who buys Vista when it's launched is virtually a
> alpha-beta tester.
>
> See below:
>
> Vista sends 49,693 page print job to printer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Well obviously I didn't intend for this to happen. I chose file->print
> | inside Firefox 2.0.0.1 running on Vista Enterprise. I just assumed
> | it printed the one page I requested, but when I went to the printer
> | in the next room, I discovered it was spewing out pages with nothing
> | but the header and footer from Firefox. Great work, Microsoft. Or
> | maybe it is Firefox's fault? Who the hell knows.
> `----
>
> http://www.hinerman.net/blog/?p=63

Not limited to Vista, I assure you.  :-)  Of course, Unix
spooling systems such as CUPS are probably far smarter now,
though it's still possible to screw things up a bit (mostly
if one specifies the wrong printer type -- I specified
language 6CL for a 5L printer and that didn't work all
that well, for example; fortunately that's an easy fix).

> Vista Bug re-appears
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Nice... minus one million, three hundred eight thousand, two
> | hundred fifty nine bytes... how is that any where near or
> | mathematically altered to 2.11 MB?
> `----
>
> http://jadeallen.com/toms/index.asp?DoAction=ReadDay&ID=359

Nice.  And I thought NT/2k/XP's "paper copy" deal was brain-dead.

> Windows Vista's Hideous Wakeup Support
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One thing we just can't wrap our mind about is the terrible,
> | broken, and completely pitiful support for waking Vista up from
> | a Deep Sleep or hibernation.' Any time you attempt to wake Vista
> | up from Hibernation or "Deep Sleep" (S3-induced sleep mode), it
> | dies. It's either a BSOD, or a driver error, or a broken network,
> | no DWM, lack of sound... the list goes on, and on. So much for an
> | operating system to "power" the future! (No pun intended!) That's
> | with properly-signed drivers and no buggy software on
> | multiple PCs...
> `----
>
> http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/299
>

> TI won't rush into Microsoft Vista readily
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Corporate American, no, make that corporate everywhere is treating Vista
> | like a dead animal found in the woods, they will poke it with a stick,
> | but there is no way they will take it home. Take TI for instance, it
> | is not going to touch the wonder OS for another two years or so.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36259

Oh, c'mon TI.  You know you want to. :-)

> Installing A PS/2 Mouse Turns Off Firewall, Huh!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I plugged in the PS/2 mouse, rebooted the PC and on restart XP found the
> | PS/2 mouse and suggested rebooting again, which I did. When it restarted
> | the Microsoft Firewall had been switched off. How do I know, because it
> | told me I had no firewall.
> `----
>
> http://crunchysoftware.wordpress.com/2006/12/09/ps2-mouse-turns-off-firewall/

ObHuh:  What?!

> Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 7.0 Sucks!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I know Microsoft's release of IE 7.0 is in beta, but I still didn't
> | expect it to be such a big piece of crap and cause hours of misery.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | What Microsoft hoped would help it win back Firefox "switchers" has
> | done nothing but add one more to their growing ranks.
> `----
>
> http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2006/02/microsoft-ie-70-sucks.html

I'll admit to wondering how much of this is IE, and
how much of it is a virus infecting it, but yipes...at
least with Linux and Mozilla one has a fighting chance of
expunging a malfunctioning program, should one not want it.

(The pagecount graph is an interesting addendum, though
I'm not sure how relevant it is to his argument.)

> Just One Question For Vista: Does It Simply Work -- Like An Apple?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Jim Allchin responds over on his blog regarding a recent news report
> | quoting him as saying that he would have bought a Mac if he weren't
> | working for Microsoft in an email to Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | So the challenge for Microsoft, and in some ways to an even larger
> | extent Allchin himself personally, is to ship Vista in a state that
> | is as bug free as the Mac.
> |
> | Vista is Allchin's final legacy at Microsoft. After a long successful
> | career this is his last hurah and in order to be successful it simply
> | must be perfect.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061213/22341_id.html?.v=1

Somebody's in Bizarro world if they think Vista is perfect, at this
point.  Maybe when SP1 comes out, but I'm not hopeful.

> Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I'm an absolute freak when it comes to .NET technologies. My blog
> | is called the ".NET Addict", so it should be pretty obvious that
> | the day Vista's RTM build came out, I downloaded it and installed
> | it on every Vista-capable machine I had in my possession. I've
> | been using Vista for several weeks now and I've come to a couple
> | of conclusions that I think might startle and shock some of you.
> `----
>
> http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/vista_dogfood.htm
>
> He claims RTM is in the state of a beta.

So does Kadaitcha Man, and apparently for very good
reasons.  To be fair, I'm not sure precisely which build
KM tested, nor have I verified it myself (would I really
want to?  Oh, the pain, the pain...) but he indicates
endemic problems all over Vista's various subsystems --
problems which might not be all that easy to fix prior to
Prime Time, especially since it's less than a week away.

> Vista Breaks Applications
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The big secret at Redmond is that existing applications and new
> | products will not work with Vista.
> |
> | Microsoft really doesn't want you to know this, but many of your
> | existing applications won't work with Vista. In fact, some brand
> | new products won't work with Vista.
> `----

How much of this is developer incompetence ([I])

How much of this isn't ([C])?

[I] Oh yeah, let's upgrade to Vista and watch Zune break!

[I] Monad/Powershell is broken.  This is one of the
    more interesting add-on features.

[I] Windows Live Messenger 8.0.  To be fair, this one at
    least survives a few hours -- but one wonders where
    the leak is.

[C?] AIM 6, though he doesn't say how long that survives.

[?] Cisco VPN client.

[?] CheckPoint VPN-1.

[?] AVG Free.

[?] Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition for Vista.

[?] Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

[?] Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.

(Pssst.  Microsoft.  That's not a duck.  That's what's
left of your foot.)

> Vista... Don't Try to Copy and Paste
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Vista gave me the following when trying to copy a
> | file:
> |
> | Error 0x800705AD. Ohh, well of course... I should have known error
> | 0x800705AD means the user tried to COPY AND PASTE. Are you shitting
> | me?! Insufficient quota? WTF are you talking about Vista. First
> | let's check that I have enough disk space:
> |
> | Ok, now by my calculations 413 MBs < 22.8 GBs. I can normally
> | figure out almost any computer related problem.
> `----
>
> http://buckwheats.wordpress.com/2006/12/12/vista%e2%80%a6-don%e2%80%99t-try-to-copy-and-paste-o/

Insufficient quota?!?

Ow, brain, ow.

To be somewhat fair, what he tried to paste was apparently
a 413MB ISO file.  But why would that be a problem using
Windows cut and paste file metaphor?  Copying it using
CMD.EXE -- no problem.

Ow, brain, ow.  Stop that.

> Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Two industry watchers say Microsoft is corrupting the term, leading to
> | major confusion among customers and others about whether the operating
> | system is truly ready to evaluate.
> |
> | Two analysts Thursday accused Microsoft Corp. of changing the meaning
> | of "release candidate" by pushing out a version of Windows Vista that
> | still needs major work.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch, said that Microsoft's
> | corrupted the term.
> `---
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

It's a release candidate, all right -- in the same fashion
as Mike Peroutka is a candidate for the US Presidency in
2008.  (Good luck Mr. Peroutka.  You'll need it.
*Lots* of it.)

I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding Mr. Peroutka.  Vista has
a slightly better chance, mostly because Microsoft can Market
Any Problem Away(tm).

Maybe.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
architectures I've seen in a computer system.