Re: A sympathetic word to our resident trolls

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:59:14 +0000, B Gruff wrote:

> I appreciate that life has been a bit difficult for you in this group for a
> while now due to Roy's [News] postings.

It's not difficult for me.
It's difficult for you and noobs stumbling into the group.
I laugh at the entire thing.

> These do tend to introduce new topics at a very high rate, and I can
> appreciate that you people (Gary in particular) must look back with some
> nostalgia to the days when you could generate a thread hundreds of postings
> long by introducing a contentious topic.

Haha!
Roy's posts get very few if any replies and the ones that generally do are
ones with Roy Schestowitz telling lies.

The trolls posts FAR outnumber Roy Schestowitz's in terms of replies.

> These days of course, that thread quickly disappears as we follow Roy's
> [News} threads.

Dream on.
You must be reading a different group because the numbers don't support
your claim.

> Clearly, and as we have told you, you can filter these out.

They still waste enormous amounts of bandwidth and for people using
Google, like many do while at work, there is no way to filter them out.

> If you wish, you could even
>just filter Roy out, so that you would see
> only responses.

Actually in most cases you wouldn't see anything because Roy Schestowitz's
posts get few responses.

But why filter Roy out?

It's hysterical to watch him twitching around.

> Since you have all continued to moan about Roy, I can only assume that
> you do not wish to do this.

Those are laughs not moans, except in the case of Mark Kent where he might
actually BE moaning.

> Thus, the latest developments, whereby we have some American pre-teen
> (in several guises) copying and re-posting Roy's [News] articles, but
> without the [News] must be causing you even more aggro.  In fact, we
> have a troll making things two or three times more difficult than it was
> for the other trolls!

How do we know it's not someone from your side?
Open proxies, fake names?

Sounds a lot like Doug Mentohl or Peter Kohlmann to me.

> Personally, I don't mind - I just use my filters to click the guy off at
> will, but my sympathy is very much with you resident trolls.  Since you
> have proved that you don't like to filter, the situation must be almost
> untenable for you now - you clearly can't troll if you can't get a word
> in edgeways!

Take a look at the responses.
You are fantasizing.

> We need to do something about this.
> Perhaps I could suggest that you guys (Flattie, Father Ted, dumb-bell,
> Erik, DFS, peculiar friend, etc. and aliases) take a new line?
>
> To overcome the problem, how would it be if you were to incorporate
> [troll] into headers for new troll-threads that you start, and then we
> could filter you IN while filtering the said American pre-teen out? Yes,
> I know that it sounds crazy, in that I filter you chaps out for most of
> the time anyway (nothing personal - I just think that you are a load of
> pillocks), but if you did as I suggest, I wouldn't mind clicking the
> appropriate filter every few days to have a laugh at your latest rants,
> and it would mean that you guys could do your job properly again by
> having those troll-threads that went on for hundreds and hundreds of
> posts.
>
> You see the advantages?
>
> - I can still filter you guys out of ordinary threads
>
> - our American pre-teen can be filtered by everybody
>
> - you chaps can have proper troll threads again, and I can look in to
> them every few days..... . well, from time to time, anyway....

You have clearly swallowed the Koolaid.

Did you happen to find the remains of a seed pod under your bed perhaps?

Roy's posts are nothing more than noise that clutters a DISCUSSION group.
YOUR discussion group and I know for a fact that there are at least
several Linux advocates, real Linux advocates, who have had it with Roy's
noise.

The truth is if he wants to spread the word about Linux, he could post a
journal that would be searchable and archivable.
But he won't and why is that?

It's because Roy Schestowitz wants to seed the search engines with his
name, his various websites and so forth so that he generates hits and thus
MONEY.
Roy is about Roy and while I believe he is a true Linux advocate, his
motives are less than sincere as far as advocating Linux.
That is what it is all about.