[News] Project Strives to Unify open Source Identity Management

Liberty Alliance courts open-source projects

,----[ Quote ]
| "The idea behind OpenLiberty is to provide a community for
| open-source developers to communicate and collaborate on open
| identity standards," Jason Roualt, vice president of Liberty
| Alliance, said in an interview. "There are a few open-source
| efforts around identity, but the main thing that they are
| missing is the ability to support identity-based Web services,
| getting beyond single sign-on to sharing identity attributes."
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-6152236.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2xvv2e

The industry wants interoperability and collaboration, but behold this:

Liberty Alliance, Microsoft discuss identity protocols

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have finally put down the boxing gloves and are trying to figure
| out how to solve our customers' problems," said Roger Sullivan, the
| newly elected president of the Liberty Alliance and vice president
| of Oracle's identity management section.
|
| The Liberty Alliance, whose participants include HP, Sun and IBM,
| backs the ID-Web Services Framework (ID-WSF), a set of protocols
| for Web services. Microsoft supports another set, WS-Star.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/011007-liberty-alliance-microsoft-discuss-identity.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Related and recent:

OpenAjax Woos Microsoft, Plots 2007 Goals

,----[ Quote ]
| As the OpenAjax Alliance nears its one-year anniversary, the
| software developer and vendor consortium is making headway
| toward its goal of standardizing AJAX technologies -- and it
| may even lure into the fold the
| industry's most notorious standards scofflaw, Microsoft.
`----

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=196801029&cid=CRNBreakingNews

OpenAjax Alliance tackles interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| While the alliance already has an impressive list of members, one
| name remains conspicuously absent: Microsoft.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20060920/tc_macworld/openajax20060920

Microsoft readies new VPN protocol

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft currently has no plans to seek standardization for SSTP.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/1/21/6698

The Microsoft Zombie Army will force Samba out of the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is to ship with a new version of SMB, called SMB2. At
| minute 40 in this FLOSS Weekly podcast, Jeremy Allison of
| Samba talks of behavior that will flood the network with
| 1500 packets just to do a network file delete. This will
| turn Vista computers into a DOS (Denial of Service) attack
| upon Samba based computers on the network.
`----

http://www.twit.tv/floww14

'Microsoft broke anti-trust agreement,' prosecutors claim

,----[ Quote ]
| It's claimed Microsoft's engineers used at least 500 undocumented APIs
| to ensure Microsoft's applications worked better with Windows than
| those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/microsoft_breached_antitrust/

Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101947/microsoft-used-undocumented-windows-apis-iowa-testimony.html