Re: Record Labels Rethink DRM

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 22 January 2007 18:58 \__
>
> > Larry Qualig wrote:
> >
> >> So it's an absolute joke that someone would be so naive to think that
> >> somehow the general public is going to get worked up over some DRM
> >> bullshit that 99% of the population doesn't understand, let alone
> >> realize that it even exists.
>
> Joe A. doesn't know s**t about DRM. He sure knows something is wrong when his
> CD doesn't work in the car and his iTunes collection does not work with the
> music player he got for Xmas. Then he finds out what DRM means _to him_.

 > Joe A. doesn't know s**t about DRM. He sure knows something is wrong
when his
> CD doesn't work in the car and his iTunes collection does not work with the
> music player he got for Xmas. Then he finds out what DRM means _to him_.

And Joe A. still won't know shit about DRM and to Joe, his concern and
uproar over DRM are about number 12,819 on his list of concerns.
Somewhere firmly between what supplier McDonalds buys their plastic
straws from and whether their roll of toilet paper has the full 60-feet
or not.

"His CD doesn't work in the car" -
There is no reason why it wouldn't. Every CD that I've ever bought has
worked in the car and home flawlessly. Services like iTunes even let
you burn CD's from music you downloaded/purchased and those CD's also
play flawlessly. No problem here.

"and his iTunes collection does not work with the music player he got
for Xmas." -
In 80% of the cases the new music player is going to be an iPod. New
iPod... no problem. Simply plug it in and it will "just work." New
computer? No problem either. It's easy to copy your music collection
from one PC to a new one.

If a user purchased one of those other music players then it's unlikely
they have an expectation that they will be able to plug in something
else into iTunes and have it to work. While all consumers will expect
iPod <-> iTunes to work very few will expect (other) <-> iTunes to
work.