Re: How Much Does M$ Spend to Discredit COLA?

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Tuesday 23 January 2007 11:52 \__

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:08:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Monday 22 January 2007 23:10 \__

>>> ANOTHER MICROSOFT PUPPET!!!! PLONK!! And it feels good to do it...
>>
>> I have been struggling recently when it comes to following COLA, mailing
>> lists, E-mail and other stuff (my job included). So, I have added trolls
>> which were on the verge, so to speak (usually a mental killfile), to the
>> actual killfile. Some of them don't even get filtered in the newsreader.
>> They get wiped at server level, which speeds things up. Bandwidth and
>> number of messages to store goes down... leafnode has a high retention
>> with over 50,000 messages at the moment, which is why the current server
>> beats the University's one and increases productivity.
>
> That's one of the great things about Leafnode, IMHO, that it wipes the
> trolls etc, at server level. :-)

There's more of them showing up nowadays. you just know Vista is coming. It
means the filters have to devour some extra CPU cycle and lower the
bandwidth.

All that noise is no coincidence, IMHO. I have been speaking to PJ recently
and she finally advised that I speak to a solicitor. I finally did this
afternoon. He's willing to listen to my case. He has prior experience
with Microsoft --- conviction for libel. This one isn't just about me... it's
about a company whose actions are inexcusable. As you may be aware,
there are companies whose interests conflict with the increasing
adoption of Open Source software. There is an historical record which
shows that these companies are willing to pay ordinary people in order
to subvert the truth (or balance it, as they would put it). I am citing
a few examples below (maybe not for you, but for random people who read
this).

This one is from yesterday:

An interesting offer: get paid to contribute to Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| So I was a little surprised to receive email a couple of days ago
| from Microsoft saying they wanted to contract someone independent
| but friendly (me) for a couple of days to provide more balance on
| Wikipedia concerning ODF/OOXML. I am hardly the poster boy of
| Microsoft partisanship! Apparently they are frustrated at the
| amount of spin from some ODF stakeholders on Wikipedia and blogs.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/01/an_interesting_offer.html

Here are some older ones:

FTC Moves to Unmask Word-of-Mouth Marketing

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/11/AR2006121101389.html?nav=hcmodule

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/google_lobby/

,----[ Quote ]
|     "Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using
| online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues
| of Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it
| was obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers
| and energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who
| liked to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows wont
| he operating-system war through fifth-column tactics"
|
|     Mr Dvorak wonders if Microsoft is today using reverse-dirty-tricks
| to promote the Xbox 360: pay people to create Web sites that slam the
| gaming computer in order to provoke a barrage of defenders.
`----

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

Guest Post by Tony Healy: Microsoft sprung

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and PR firm Edelman have been sprung in an embarrasing
| pseudo astroturf operation intended to promote the forthcoming
| operating system Vista.
`----

http://larvatusprodeo.net/2007/01/02/guest-post-by-tony-healy-microsoft-sprung/

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 112 total,   1 running, 111 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie