Re: [News] NASA Learns from Mistakes, Chooses Open Standards Software

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 22 January 2007 10:24 \__

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/011907-software-hubble-nasa.html?page=2

>> More proof that isolation of modules (e.g. kernel, graphical presentation
>> server, desktop environment, applications like file manager and Web
>> browser) is the only way to go when the project gets large and complex.
>>

> One thing which open-source development models have shown is that it is
> perfectly possible to create complex software using highly distributed
> teams, so long as there is a tough focus on ensuring modularity,
> separation and minimising hacks and bodges.  By complex here I mean
> large projects.
>
> It has also shown that the traditional approach of making everything
> proprietary, with lots of "intellectual property" all over the place is
> no longer the most effective business model.  It will be an interesting
> historical footnote that Microsoft, the largest ever software-only house
> was one of the major driving factors in ensuring the development of free
> software.

Red Hat tried to convey this in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rSLQAqV2Lw

The first 30 seconds are irrelevant. The remainder illustrates your point
wonderfully well.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
 11:05am  up 95 days 21:19,  7 users,  load average: 0.78, 1.10, 1.13