[News] NASA Learns from Mistakes, Chooses Open Standards Software

Avoiding Hubble trouble: The software plan for NASA's new space telescope

,----[ Quote ]
| "Once you get into millions of lines of code, it's really difficult
| for a new programmer coming onto a project to make a change or
| understand how different subsystems relate to each other," he says.
|
| [...]
|
| It's hard to estimate how much money will be saved because of the
| decision to use open standards software. It could be a few million
| dollars, or 10 times that, Cammarata says.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/011907-software-hubble-nasa.html?page=2

More proof that isolation of modules (e.g. kernel, graphical presentation
server, desktop environment, applications like file manager and Web browser)
is the only way to go when the project gets large and complex.

Related:

Is Vista the End of Windows as We Know It?

,----[ Quote ]
| The five-year long march to developing Windows Vista exposed just how
| broken Microsoft's Windows-development process is. It took far too
| long, major features were dropped along the way, and it was wrapped up
| in more red tape than the IRS. That's why I think that Vista will be the
| last of the "big-bang" Windows releases.
`----          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/11/is_vista_the_end_of_windows_as.html

Windows Vista the last of its kind

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista will be the last version of Windows that exists in its current,
| monolithic form, according to Gartner.
|
| Instead, the research firm predicts, Microsoft will be forced to
| migrate Windows to a modular architecture tied together through
|                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| hardware-supported virtualisation. "The current, integrated architecture
| of Microsoft Windows is unsustainable - for enterprises and for
| Microsoft," wrote Gartner analysts Brian Gammage, Michael Silver and
| David Mitchell Smith.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=6718

As Microsoft looks ahead, will Vista be the end of an era?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13129-2494732,00.html

Why Vista might be the last of its kind

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003460386_btview04.html

Vista: Microsoft's Last 'Big Bang' Operating System?

http://newz.byethost31.com/Microsoft_vista_last_big_bang_operating_system.htm