Re: Good Times for Python and Linux...

dapunka <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 10 Jul, 17:22, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 10 July 2007 16:28 : \____

>> > Can I make a confession. I know I risk boiling oil, tar and feathers. But of
>> > all the languages we have for scripting and coding in UNIX/Linux, I always
>> > thought that Python was the worst one.
>>
>> Just make sure you don't say this in the wrong forum. Pythons can bite (the
>> flamebait
>>
>> > Oh of cause I know it has it's followers and I will admit that I can switch
>> > to it on occasion, I used to use the calculator a lot, I also used the
>> > matrix classes a fair bit at one time, they are very good and very easy to
>> > manipulate.
>>
>> > It's just the language itself that I don't like.
>>
>> > The indenting is a pain in the bum, miss a tab and you've got a bug,
>> > brackets are much better than indents I reckon. The ranges and lists are
>> > good, I think it was the first that had a range function (was it the first?
>> > I'm not sure, I think it was the first language where I came across it, my
>> > memory isn't what it once was. I'm not old, I'm just a piss-ead). Others
>> > have ranges too now and don't kick you in the manlies if you miss the tab
>> > key.
>>
>> Maybe you can fork it to suit your preference, but then it would not be
>> compatible with Python code. That's why Sun hesitated on GPL-ing Java.
>>
>> > oh yes and the fights I have had with bleeding classes ....... {wanders off
>> > into the sunset moaning about various aspects of bleeding Python}
>>
>> I've never used Python. I've seen some code and used some, but never hacked on
>> it, so I don't know if I can add anything. Two years ago I met the cofounder
>> of WordPress at a local coffee shop (he's from Stockport). He told me that he
>> had  mastered Python very quickly. It was only a matter of syntax to him (like
>> most P/Ls, unless you leap between paradigms and land on ones that you never
>> studied).
>
> To extend this discussion a little - yesterday I saw a post saying
> that the "RealBasic" thing for Linux was good, offered an alternative
> to VisualBasic etc.  What I'm wondering is:  Is RealBasic any good for
> coding?  Back in the 80s BASIC was a bit of a joke - not a proper
> programming language and so on.  Is this RealBasic truly useful?

I would suggest asking away from this group.

RealBasic is an ok structured programming language with some tools which
look nicer than than they really are.

Take the tour at:

http://www.realbasic.com/

It can never, ever hope to provide the kind of streamlined code which C
programmers aspire too and as a result using it will end up producing
mind numbingly slow machines ala Windows running Java apps IMO.

Yes, its multiplatform. But so what? So is C if you use something like wxWidgets
for your UI widgets.

These type of languages are great for one off apps which a business
might want on multi platform, but dont try building a full desktop out
of them or your machine will grind to a stand still IMO.