Re: Linux Wins: EU Vista flails away

____/ waterskidoo on Saturday 07 July 2007 16:40 : \____

> On 2007-07-07, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> AV Software elevates the minimal system requires of any version of Windows.
>> Since Microsoft recommends that everyone installs such software, the price
>> tag it's boasting are deceiving and the minimal system requirements they
>> cite -- just theory. Is Home Basic even allowed to play music files at all?
>
> The quickest method for rendering a system to it's electronic knees is
> to install Symantec System Works. Dell loads, or at least used to,
> that bloatware and the typical user can see an easy 15 percent boost
> in overall system responsiveness by removing it. Which brings up
> another interesting point, why is it so difficult to remove
> Symantec products completely? Simply doing a Control Panel
> 'remove' does not work correctly as the registry is still
> polluted with stuff left around.
>
> I advise my Windows friends to use a light on demand scanner
> and to not do stupid things like click on arbitrary links
> and attachments.

Someone ought o conduct a study that counts the number of CPU cycles used
(READ: spent/wasted) on that 'anti virus' stuff and find out how much it's
costing the environment. It doesn't even account for the fact that we have
many unused PCs lying around because they are not 'AV-capable'.

Going by the definition that speaks about viruses in the context of resource
hogs, Vista is indeed the most expensive malware/spyware.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
         run-level 2  2007-06-16 18:32                   last=