Re: Review of Nero Linux 3 is a Positive One

On 2007-07-04, Darth Chaos <DarthChaosofRSPW@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, all I have is a dual-layer DVD burner, so I can't judge the
> claims of support for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, but the Linux version of Nero
> is starting to resemble its Windows counterpart.

I only have a dual layer DVD burner as well. I hope the Linux
version does NOT follow the Windows version. Nero started
out with good intentions but current versions are so extremely
bloated that just installing them slows the system down.

> I guess I was just expecting a port of the Nero Ultra Edition, but who
> really needs the Nero Wave Editor when we have open-source Audacity
> which to me is just as good? Really all I need is the basic Nero
> burning tool (Nero Burning Rom), so when I take a closer look, Nero
> delivers on its promises.

I use a version of Nero for Windows called "Portable Nero" which
is a gray market re-packed version but which requires a legitimate
Nero key to run. It does not come with a crack program so the
user needs to own a registered version of Nero in order to
use it. Basically it installs in one directory and includes
everything needed to burn DVD/CDs. I'm sure Ahead deems it
warez, but since I paid for Nero Ultra, and refuse to use it
I'm using that serial number for portable Nero. So sue me.
K3b is an outstanding program in every way and better than
the commercial versions of Nero IMHO. In time it will support
the latest media.