Re: [News] Wales Medical Research Institute Chooses Linux for E-mail

____/ BearItAll on Monday 02 July 2007 16:51 : \____

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;345320520;fp;2;fpid;1#8647806945395528342

> Zimbra does look very very good. I mentioned in a similar post that I had
> tried it before, I liked it with reservations, well I tried it again after
> that and it has moved on since I tried it first time.

I remember trying it a couple of years ago when some very small startup called
Zimbra launched the demo. I liked the theme and the interaction was impressive
at the time (AJAX wasn't quite as widespread as it is today).

> Even if you only take the speed issue and assume that all the usual bits and
> pieces are there as in the alternatives, it is so f'ing fast (and I never
> swear). This is very much more what these things ought to be, very
> responsive. I have to say that of all these types Zimbra is by far top of
> my list, that is from testing, I ca not claim to have used it in multi-user
> situation, but then any problems there are much more likely to be with the
> host/host plan than Zimbra.

The only reason I lost some respect for them are the open source claims. It's
not OSI-approved as far as I know, so they are among those that are to blame
for 'diluting' the term.

> If I wasn't part way through a contract with an alternative in this company
> I would go with Zimbra.

It doesn't seem like they are going away any time soon. They are getting many
contracts very quickly and they only fail to expand because they say they
can't find the needed talent (skills).

Roy S. Schestowitz     | No Makefile, no business
 03:00:01 up 16 days,  8:28,  4 users,  load average: 1.37, 1.46, 1.73