Re: Microsoft Office Open XML gets US knockback

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 20 July 2007 08:06 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 19 July 2007 14:47 : \____
>>
>>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> That's a really well put together picture - I'm impressed.  How about
>>> someone sends it to Ashley Highfield at the BBC, and Mr Faruhar at the
>>> National Archives, these being the people who wish to lock us to
>>> Microsoft, at *our* expense, forever.
>>
>> Could this be another thing for the OSC to look at (other than iPlayer and
>> maybe SilverLockin.NET in the futute)? Who can one address other than cousin
>> Neelie at the EC?
>>

> I don't know.  The time is right for a really good push on the BBC,
> though.  Clearly, the Board of Trustees is a terrible idea, not working
> remotely well, whereas the previous management method worked rather
> well.  I'm beginning to realise that the board is trying to run the BBC
> more like a business, so they've brought in a bunch of dinosaurs to try
> to copy what businesses were doing a decade or more ago, hence all the
> outsourcing, strategic partnerships, and so on.  It's a mix of a
> disaster and a joke, but it's most certainly *our* money, so we should
> shout long and loud about fixing this.

...couldn't have explained it better. It crossed my mind before. The BBC
operates truly like a business and where it is not allowed to behave like a
business, it uses contracts with external forces to do the business, which
aligns with agendas of these external resource and enjoys cashflow that is
taxpayers' money. Thus, as long as the /public/ (not the BBC) is unaware of
its money being miused, it's just a big party with 50-quid notes flying up in
the air. Good ol' boyz club.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
 09:00:01 up 33 days, 14:28,  7 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.41, 1.62