Re: [News] GooOS -- Another Speculation of Google OS Fantasy

> GooOS, the Google Operating System
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I came across a great speech by Rich Skrenta. He argues that Google is
>| building a huge computer with a custom operating system that everyone
>| on earth can have an account on.
>|
>| Using Gnome and Linux as a starting point, Google should design an
>| OS for desktop computers that's modified to use the GooOS and sell
>|  it right alongside Windows ($200) at CompUSA for $10/apiece
>| (available free online of course). Google Office (Goffice?) will
>| be built in, with all your data stored locally, backed up remotely,
>| and available to whomever it needs to be (SubEthaEdit-style
>| collaboration on Word/Excel/PowerPoint-esque documents is only the
>| beginning). Email, shopping, games, music, news, personalp
>| ublishing, etc.; all the stuff that people use their computers
>| for, it's all there.
> `----
>
> http://www.geckosite.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13

I always feel like I'm missing some critical factor in these points -
how can you have a "Google" operating system?  /Why/ would you have one?
What's wrong with Linux?

Web-hosting is clearly becoming much and much easier as access
bandwidths increase, and the economics of shared server space make
hosting MIPs decreasingly expensive, but it's not magic, it's all
available now.