Re: [News] Firefox Usage Beyond 20% in the Land of Microsoft, Says Mozilla

> Fortune iMeme: Firefox Has 100 Million Users, 20% Of U.S. Net Usage
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Speaking at the Fortune iMeme conference in San Francisco today, Mozilla CEO
>| Mitchell Baker said the Firefox browser has been downloaded by about 15% of
>| Internet users in the U.S., and accounts for about 20% of U.S. Internet
>| usage; she says the numbers are higher in Europe. Overall, there are about
>| 100 million people using Firefox worldwide, she says.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/07/13/fortune-imeme-firefox-has-100-million-users-20-of-us-net-usage/?mod=yahoobarrons
>
> There are many reasons why stats are inconsistent. Choice of sites, Windows/IE
> zombies, and user-agent masquerading are among many more factors. Europe is
> approaching 30% and a Web designer told me a couple of months ago that folks
> in the field assumed IE has just 60% market share.
>

> Days ago:
>
> Firefox takes 28% market share in Europe
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| All European countries saw an increase in Firefox participation with Hungary
>| showing the most dramatic increase from 27.2%, in the latest March 2007
>| survey, to 39.7%. Overall, Europe grew from 24.1% to 27.8%.
> `----
>
> http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/07/firefox-takes-28-market-share-in-europe/

Wow - this is amazing.  The network effect has fully taken hold, now, so
there is not going to be any way of stopping this, indeed, why would you
want to?

It's great to see actual competition emerging again, the lights are
coming back on after so many years of suffering the darkness of a monoply.

No doubt the proprietary software zealots will be along to tell us why
choice is bad...  at least, until IE has less than 50% global share;  at
that point, they'll *all* suddenly start saying that *choice is good*.