Re: The Size of the Linux Kernel Shown in Phyical Form

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 12 July 2007 21:38 : \____

>> `----
>>
>> http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20Comparison%20Linux%20vs%20Windows
>
> Interesting:
>
> Kernel+drivers bugs (estimated number):  Linux---1400,
> Windows---34,000
> Estimated bug rate/line:                           Linux, 0.02%,
> Windows 0.2%

Very few people are responsible for each pertinent part of the Windows kernel,
which is very monolithic for all I can tell (no elegant separation between the
presentation layer and the kernel). I might be wrong here because I have seen
visual charts of both kernels.

In any event, bugs can only be addressed if you have manpower with access to
the code. More people do not necessarily make work more effective however.
They can hinder productivity. That's why come-and-go patchers are the worst
type of thing. Many people seem to be joining Linux kernel development, not
departing. Even CK, who I though decided to leave (or not maintain the CK
tree), is apparently still very active. The pace of kernel development (e.g.
LOCs per day) has gone up significantly, says Greg KH. Linux is on a roll.

Did nobody notice that the Italian Parliament has just decided to go Linux?
That's thousands of desktops at the highest level. ODF will probably be
mandated as they promised.

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.
                                                 ~Linus Torvalds