[News] Novell Signed a Deal for "Free Stuff"

  • Subject: [News] Novell Signed a Deal for "Free Stuff"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 04:53:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Virtualization engulfs LinuxWorld 2007: A preview

,----[ Quote ]
| In particular, there is some work going on to support paravirtualized
| drivers for Windows guest machines running on SUSE. Having this in
| place would allow Windows guests to run on SUSE Linux without
| needing to go through an emulation layer, thereby improving
| performance. I'm going to be particularly interested in hearing
| how these drivers will be licensed, as my suspicion is that they
| will end up needing to be open sourced, which will make them
| available to everyone, not just Novell customers.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1266204,00.html

They never needed a deal for this. Microsoft wants nothing but its 'approved'
distros to work with Windows and it also wants to make virtualising Linux on
Windows more attractive than the other way around. Novell is just a marionette
in Microsoft's hand.