Re: Big Vista may be watching You

____/ [H]omer on Monday 30 July 2007 18:31 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:
>> [snips]

>>> Like the 500 Linux distributions aren't?!
>
> Irrelevant argument.
>
>> No more so than the - what is it, 6? - versions of Vista.
>
> Actually it's 8, including two so-called "N" (European) versions, IIRC.
> And it's still irrelevant.
>
>>> Oracle has a wonderful closed source solution that fits well in our
>>> infrastructure.  I don't have to jump through hoops trying to convince
>>> the sys admins that 'ZFS' is well maintained and the programmers won't
>>> get bored and disappear in 3 years.
>>
>> No, now you have to convince them that Oracle won't drop the solution and
>> if they do, they'll open the sources so others can maintain it.  Don't see
>> the benefit to being thus beholden and dependent upon someone else's good
>> will.
>
> Yes, those who use proprietary solutions run a vastly greater risk of
> becoming victims of Abandonware and forced upgrades, either through
> deliberately planned obsolescence (which IMHO is little more than a
> scam, and should be illegal); or simply because the vendor folds, is
> subject to a hostile takeover, or for innumerable other reasons. In
> enterprise in particular, the mistake of depending on proprietary
> solutions, very often turns out to be an extremely expensive one.
>
> Having access and privileges to the source is no guarantee that the
> current maintainers won't simply give up, or die, or be trapped under a
> heavy object for all eternity, etc., but with the rights and access to
> the source, you simply don't need those people anyway - one has
> autonomy. Whether or not one chooses to exercise that freedom, is
> another matter.

Ironically, Abandonment is the reason many people choose {Microsoft for
Everything}^TM. If it's so big, it can't go bankrupt, right? Then they find
out about "planned obsolescence".

Hint:

[OOXML] Math markup marked down

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Science, the journal of the America Association for the
| Advancement of Science (AAAS), itself the largest scientific society in the
| world, has updated its authoring guidelines to include advice for Office
| 2007 users. The news is not good.
|
| [...]
|
| Uh oh. Not only cannot you not submit files in OOXML format, but
| you can't even use Office 2007 and save in the old binary formats.
| The choice to invent a new "Open Math Markup Language" rather
| then use the well-established existing standard, MathML, appears
| to be a serious flaw.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/04/math-markup-marked-down.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Every beginning must start somewhere