Re: [News] ABC Pulled a BBC, Snubs Linux Users

____/ Ian Hilliard on Monday 30 July 2007 19:05 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ABC Starts Streaming "Lost" in HD
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There are still some kinks to be worked out, and we wouldn't suggest
>> | bothering with this service unless your broadband service downloads over
>> | 2 Megabits per second. Also, forget about watching if you just bought
>> | yourself one of those nice new Ubuntu powered Dells -- there's no
>> | support for linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.switched.com/2007/07/27/abc-starts-streaming-lost-in-hd/
>>

> I was quite amazed when I read the headlines, because the other ABC
> (Australian Broadcasting Commission) has actually been very Linux friendly.
>
> Up until recently, they provided their news service in both Windows Media
> and Real Media formats. Recently, they moved to Flash. This makes it really
> easy for Australians on the go to get their daily news fix.
>
> http://abc.net.au/news/video/
>
> It is probably also a much cheaper way to produce the required results than
> some Microsoft specific solution. This also better meets the charter of
> providing a service to the widest possible community, hence making it much
> better use of taxpayer dollars.

If they require Flash 7+, then truly Free software gets access to the content
as well. Adobe introduced proprietary codecs in Flash 8 and gnash/swf2dec (??)
is nowhere near feature complete for Flash 8.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Mem:    515500k total,   444660k used,    70840k free,     2596k buffers