Re: [News] ABC Pulled a BBC, Snubs Linux Users

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 30 July 2007 14:34 : \____

>> ABC Starts Streaming "Lost" in HD
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| There are still some kinks to be worked out, and we wouldn't suggest
>>| bothering with this service unless your broadband service downloads over 2
>>| Megabits per second. Also, forget about watching if you just bought
>>| yourself one of those nice new Ubuntu powered Dells -- there's no support
>>| for linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.switched.com/2007/07/27/abc-starts-streaming-lost-in-hd/
>>

>> They at least cover an interesting story:
>>
>> From Trash, He Delivers New Computers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Fifteen-year-old tech wiz Jacob Komar is making his mark by making a
>>| difference -- turning trash into working computers for needy families.
>> `----
>>
>> http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Voices/story?id=3425076&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
>>

> Presumably ABC will not be covering the singular issue that their own
> services have been deliberately designed to not work with the PCs he's
> working on for needy families?

Microsoft is among this guy's sponsors. I checked. Their logo was
proportionally small though.

>> Related:
>>
>> 16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| With his non-profit organisation called Alameda County Computer Resource
>>| Centre, he built up a volunteer organisation, collects donated stuff from
>>| the companies who provide them, strips any proprietary OS and software off
>>| the drives, re-installs everything with Linux and free applications, and
>>| then gives them to schools or other not-for-profit organisations or
>>| individuals without too much cash.
>>|
>>| A great man with a great mission. CNN called him a hero already.
>> `----
>>
>> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89792/index.html
>>

>> WEEE directive threatens Microsoft OEM sales
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| There's a possibility Microsoft may well dump the OEM scheme and that
>>| could prompt small firms that don't want to be WEEEing to install Linux
>>| or even pirate OSes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40305

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Switch to GNU/Linux. Visit http://www.getgnulinux.org/
Swap:  1510068k total,   320964k used,  1189104k free,   123568k cached