Re: [News] Distro Rivalry Heats Up as Shops Start Stocking GNU/Linux PCs

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 30 July 2007 14:36 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=299438&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_feat

> I think that the companies backing such things are surely likely to be
> competitive between each other, but the GPL is the key document which
> can keep everyone honest.

...Until Carmoney a(sic) and the Sunshine Boys sell out, grab $20 million from
Ballmer, call other distributors "pirates" and then still wish to exploit
Shuttleworth's labour and investment. Mind you, he called it racketeering. GPL
to the rescue! The upgrade to the GNU GPLv3 will not permit Carmony to touch
Ubuntu anymore. Not even Debian... tiff is over. So is Linspire.

> In fact, it's probably as historically significant as Magna Carta or the
> yanks' Constitution.
>
>> In-fighting a threat to free software
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Nathan Momsen of Business Data Solutions (BDS) believes that infighting
>>| between various distributions has negatively affected the uptake of open
>>| source software in local, provincial and national government.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1658

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.
 15:05:01 up 43 days, 20:33,  6 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.54, 0.90