Re: New Linux/Web integration?

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> says:
>____/ jim on Sunday 29 July 2007 22:05 : \____

>> I'm really new to Linux....but I'd like to know what you guys
>> think about this......  http://pyrodesktop.org/Main_Page It seems
>> to make your desktop a webpage that can interact with other web
>> apps.

>It's a little overhyped, but consider Mozilla's decision to disown
>Thunderbird.  They say that they see a future without software
>installation -- a future where merely everything is browser-based.
>It's no longer a browser per se, but more of a platform (within a
>platform). Gates and the others forsaw this in the mid 90s and they
>decided that it would be more profitable to freeze advancement.
>That's when they also decided to 'kill' Netscape and hijack to
>control the Web and its potential.

If this is the case, then WebTV will have won.  Web access will become
merely an interactive TV program, with it's own digital station, no
doubt.  What this will do to the future of real personal computers
is an interesting question, but if all one has is a WebTV and a
browser, then the promise of the internet will have been severely
compromised.

Can you see the day when it will be illegal to own a linux driven
computer, operating your own servers?  Or at the very least, you
will be subject to strict licensing demands, and only able to access
the "web" through one or two cable providers, using only their
software . . .

That's frightening.  But look at the broadcasting/cable industry now
to see just how fucked up things can get with red tape.

cordially, as always,

rm