Re: [News] GNOME Seeks Web Integration, Desktop Revolution

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Open Source Developers calling for the next desktop revolution
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Future GNOME releases might have seamless integration with online
> | services and store their configuration on the web - Novell and parts of
> | the community seem to agree with Red Hats proposal

I think the approach is fundamentally flawed.
People are never going to let go of their desktops.
The ideas of grabbing someone's desktop bits and pieces
and placing it on the web so that you can charge
for accessing your own private data is fatal in terms of common
sense and privacy. And users are going to recognise this.

The proper way to move forward is to make the desktop widgets
and web site widget technologies the same so that there is seamless
integration *FOR-DEVELOPERS* between desktops and websites.
The situation is absolutely dumb at present.
You have media player of one type or another that you must download
for your browser while your desktop has other ideas about how
to play that video. Most of the problem is created by proprietory companies.
It should be possible to modify X and/or a windowing program such
as ICEWM/KDE/GNOME and then integate it with Apache through GPL3
so that all the widgets, windows, panes, controls etc and xml that renders
the screen is the same. Then you have a revolution, because you
liberated *THE-DEVELOPERS* to write GUI applications that are seamless
between web sites, desktops, and embedded devices; whereas
at the moment you have three+ camps all doing their different things.