Re: [News] Linux Market Share Over 21% in India?

On 2007-07-21, DFS <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, it's greatly overestimated, since history has shown users immediately
> switch their Linux boxes to Windows if given the choice.  So those Indian
> govt systems are soon wiped of all crapware and restored to full
> functionality with Windows.

I think the same could be said of Vista machines which seem to be
getting wiped so Windows XP can be installed. FWIW I don't
remember this happening with Windows XP and Win98SE so
it's kind of a first for Microsoft. Personally,
I don't believe Linux market share can be measured
nor can Windows true market share be measured.
There are a lot of pirate copies of Windows out there.
I'm not blind nor am I stupid and I see Windows controlling
the desktop, by far. However at the same time, I see Linux
moving into the server room in great numbers and I see a
new interest in Linux, a curiosity if you will, starting
to grow in the single user market segment. People are just
beginning to learn about Linux and ironically, Vista is
helping Linux to grow. It's a slow, but steady growth.
As additional municipalities start migrating to Linux
the growth will continue and eventually be transferred to
the home market segment. It's just a matter of time and
I believe Microsoft is in a death battle right now.