Re: [News] Interoperabilit Going Well, Without Microsoft's Help

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 21 July 2007 13:53 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 21 July 2007 10:09 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Along with their brutal attacks on GPLv3, ably assisted by open-source
>>> luminaries who should know better.
>>
>> ESR, who is on Linspire board, has been eerily quiet ever since his attack
>> on Fedora (CCs to editors and harsh words that led to a storm). Prior to
>> that, he also kept silent for a very long time after provoking muslims in
>> his blog (and getting death threats as a result).
>>

> He's an interesting character, but he's always had a somewhat flexible
> view of open-source and free software.  In fact, I believe it was ESR who
> began the process of coining the term open-source in order to distance
> it from the FSF's strongly-morally-based positioning.

Yes, I read that too somewhere. It was Bruce Perens apparently that took it
further, but that's history I'm not familiar with. Bruce is apparently in
touch with Richard. He has taken quite a strong anti-Novell stance and he
seems to appreciate the work Shane and I do, which is to educate, not burn
effigies.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
Cpu(s): 27.0%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.9%id,  4.1%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st