Re: [News] [Linux] Xandros Users Walk Away to Other Distros As Xandrosoft Become One

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 07 June 2007 00:51 \__

>> Xandros users not too happy about Microsoft deal
>
> No they're not happy at all are they? In fact they're so unhappy they've
> started a thread on the Xandros forum called "Microsoft Dirty Trick of
> the Day!", which has a number of links to some very interesting
> articles, both old a new:
>
> http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?t=9572
>
> Here's one from 2004 that caught my attention:
>
> .----
> | What the think tanks have in common
> |
> | Why are all these think tanks so down on Open Source? Well, the
> | Small Business Survival Committee is concerned that using open
> | source will expose small business to the risk of lawsuits. Citizens
> | Against Government Waste is concerned that the Government might
> | waste money on Open Source. Defenders of Property Rights is
> | concerned that Open Source might be a threat to intellectual
> | property rights. However, I was able to detect a common theme to
> | all their criticism. They all seem to be funded by Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://timlambert.org/2004/06/tanks/
>
> I can see that thread becoming an essential source of research material.

Yes, they poison the reports that are put together in Open Source conferences
as well. Microsoft is a major 'sponsor' of these. The reports are put
together in Microsoft Word. Corruption knows no bounds, eh?

Also see:

"Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

,----[ Quote ]
| Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
| MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/Linux/2007/107020104.asp

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz   | "Web 2.0 is everything that can be spammed" --Unknown
roy      pts/7                         Wed Jun  6 14:16   still logged in