Re: Rant: Windows Gets B0rked, So They Buy a New PC

__/ [ John Locke ] on Wednesday 06 June 2007 09:56 \__

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 06:08:37 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Amazing!
>>
>>My mom has just bought a new computer. She didn't ask, she didn't tell
>>(until now). Her computer was filled with viruses and other junk, so it
>>became slow. What did she do? She bough a /WHOLE/ new computer, including
>>monitor. What about the 'old' one (which is quite powerful)? It'll be put
>>in the corner to collect dust.
>>
>>Microsoft -- driving the economy and destroying the environment my making
>>suicidal operating system, whose flaws are blamed on hardware.
>
> Exactly. I have run into this problem so many times I've lost count.
> But think of the positive aspect. This means there will be more
> perfectly good machines to load Linux on !!

There are already a few of those around and I doubt anyone would make use of
them. There's no bright side. The OP probably had no words to express this,
but I was very angry at the time. Whenever I speak to my mom about technical
things, both of us get upset. This, however, is the experience that many
people in IT would tell in reference to their family. I've seen it
elsewhere.

Changing computers should be like changing diapers. See
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/12/17/ubuntu-mom-loves-it/

quote...

   1. Mom buys new computer
   2. Computer comes with "Free" AOL/NetZero/random ISP account, as well as
loads of unwanted software
   3. A month later, the "free" antivirus' license has expired, so has the
"free" firewall's license
   4. Mom uses computer for 6 months, so do an increasing number of trojans,
spyware and adware
   5. Mom finds computer too slow
   6. A visit to the local electronics/computer store is planned
   7. Computer "diagnosed" at $60 per hour
   8. Diagnosis: Computer too old, buy a new one, OR, we can fix it for you
in 4 hours (and it will cost $240)
   9. Mom buys new computer
  10. Computers-at-home+=1
  11. GOTO 1