[News] [Linux] Rumour: Microsoft/Xandros Deal, Microsoft is Losing the Battle

Did Xandros sign a Novell-like patent deal with Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on eWEEK's now-disappeared headline, it sure looks like Xandros
| may have gone the Novell route and signed a patent-protection deal
| with Microsoft. (The other possibility is eWEEK believed Xandros was
| ready to sign on the dotted line, but didn't. My educated guess is
| there is a deal and eWEEK jumped the gun in publishing the
| "exclusive" story. Guess we'll find out for sure in a few more hours.)
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=486

Microsoft Would Lose Patent Rights Under New Linux License Terms

,----[ Quote ]
| Under new terms inserted into the final draft of GPLv3, "If you arrange
| to provide patent protection to some of the people who get the software
| from you, that protection is automatically extended to everyone who
| receives the software, no matter how they get it," according to an
| explanation of the rules posted on the FSF Web site.
`----

http://bink.nu/Article10181.bink

Poor Microsoft... (this guy is an MSMVP by the way)