Re: Microsoft Windows Worm Removal Information

__/ [ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 01 June 2007 06:23 \__

>> I was very suprised to see JNU using the term "quarantined". I was also
>> stunned to see them blaming the operating system. I can imagine that the
>> person who maintains this page is not only fed up with the burden viruses
>> introduce (workload), but s/he also dislikes Microsoft (a dilike which is
>> very well /earned/).
>
> I think a lot of Winvocates out there really underestimate how much
> the malware/virus issue is driving some of the Linux migration.  Sure,
> you can make Windows system secure with the right layering of firewall
> and anti-virus products, keep up to date on patches, use Firefox
> instead of IE, etc... but most users don't want to deal with all
> that.  Linux is drop-in simple by comparison.  I've heard it argued
> that you need to be a geeky system admin type to use Linux, but the
> truth is actually something of the opposite.  Software install and
> upgrade on Linux is just point and click.  Security is so simple it
> practically fades into the background; no third party packages to
> install and configure.  Firefox is already the default browser.

Stereotypes take a long time to fade away. I particularly like articles from
journalists, analysts, and Joe-Nobodies that move to Linux, love it, and
stick with it. I post these here because it hopefully makes it harder for
people to argue that our gradparents, for example, cannot handle those
operating systems with an "X" in their name. If these are ubiquitous in
phones and servers, there's no reason why a DE layer shouldn't make them
viable (and beyond) as a desktop. The tipping point is already behind us and
I am thankful to Mark Shuttleworth who has made Linux so widely available
out there. With a t-shirt culture that's akin to Google, how can anyone fear
or dislike Ubuntu?

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Tasks: 137 total,   1 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie