Re: Microsoft Windows Worm Removal Information

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 01 June 2007 01:52 \__

> <Quote>
> ...computers infected with viruses will be quarantined....It will take
> 12 working hours after the problem is corrected before Internet access
> will return to normal.
>
> Unfortunately, cleanup procedures can be long and tedious....With
> today's threats, simple solutions like anti-virus and firewall
> software are not enough....
>
> Defects in Windows programs are particularly vexing right now. You can
> take a brand new Windows computer out of the box and if you hook it up
> to the Internet without taking some prior precautions, it is likely to
> get infected within minutes... A network connection is all that is
> needed. You do not need to open an e-mail attachment or download
> anything for your computer to become infected.
>
> Similar defects in web browsers like Internet Explorer or e-mail
> clients like Outlook Express are allowing people or worms to crawl
> into your computer if you visit a malicious web site, click a
> malicious web link, or read a malicious e-mail message. You do NOT
> need to open an attachment or download any software for this to
> happen. Just clicking a link in e-mail, in an instant message, or on a
> web page is enough.
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/dcombug.shtml
>
> Linux and Mac OS/X are practically immune to worms, virus, spyware,
> malware of all types.
>
> Thanks to owl for the link.

Over here, we (I) disconnect people who are found to have a virus (scanning
ports). After 3 disconnections there is a $70 fine. Consider how many hours
(and sometimes money, e.g. for software) is required as people must to clean
up their PCs (Windows) and how much work (usually academic) is lost because
the PC is disconnected for a few days. Even if no fine is ever paid, the
cost is very high. People start to get the message. Many are whining because
they can't even speak to their family while they are disconnected.

I was very suprised to see JNU using the term "quarantined". I was also
stunned to see them blaming the operating system. I can imagine that the
person who maintains this page is not only fed up with the burden viruses
introduce (workload), but s/he also dislikes Microsoft (a dilike which is
very well /earned/).

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
Cpu(s):  22.9% user,   4.3% system,   0.6% nice,  72.2% idle