Re: [News] [Linux] A Look at the New Lunux Mint Light, Some Linux-based, Web-based Operating Systems

http://franticindustries.com/blog/2007/06/16/another-10-web-operating-systems-reviewed/

> There's a great degree of Linux there, either at application/artwork level
> or at the server level.
>

> Related:
>
> eyeOS - the open source web desktop [Review]
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There is definitely potential here, and I think extending free and
> | open source software into the web desktop space can only be a good
> | thing. At the moment, I don?t think I'd seriously end up using it.
> | I don't think it is necessarily eyeOS's fault, as the project is
> | extremely innovative and well done for what it is.
> `----
>
> http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/eyeos-the-open-source-web-desktop/
>

> Desktop On Demand - New WebOS Launches
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The product is being built by a company called Defuturo, which says
> | that the core of DOD is the Linux Gnome desktop environment "and the
> | growing myriad of applications constantly being developed for it." So
> | it is using an open source platform and building a virtual desktop
> | service on top of that. DOD aims to extend rather than replace a
> | local computer, but I think they need to work on their messaging
> | on how exactly they'll do this.
> `----
>
> http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/desktop_on_demand.php

The only worry with these is if they make them too heavy then they will just
be seen as a gimmic or a joke.

The way I see it is that it ought to be application based, with either a
minimum shell or no shell. Simply launch one app from another or from a
simple menu system.

Remote apps in MS systems are heavy and though the idea behind them is good
in practical use users are tending to work locally, avoiding the remote
applications side of it, so really much of the idea narrows down to just
remote data, might as well just set up sftp links to their data areas.

The speeds are far too slow for actual remote apps in the way that MS have
done it. The Outlook module, I sat and watched someone loading that part to
get at one document for a meeting. It seemed to be going through a full
download, about ten minutes to get to the point where he could start
traversing the directories to get to his document, each directory entered
took another long period before he could look to see if his document was in
there.

The download of the document itself took moments, the slow speeds were
entirely to do with the over-weight Outlook.

It shouldn't be like that, they have done it wrong. I just hope that Linux
takes a better thought out route.