[News] [Linux] A Look at the New Lunux Mint Light, Some Linux-based, Web-based Operating Systems

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] A Look at the New Lunux Mint Light, Some Linux-based, Web-based Operating Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 04:53:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mint Linux 3.0 Light

,----[ Quote ]
| The Light edition of the Mint 3.0 Linux distribution is now available.
| Compared to the regular version of Mint, the Light edition ships without
| proprietary software, patented technologies, and support for restricted
| formats. We took a peek this afternoon at this GNOME-based LiveCD
| distribution.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=752&num=1

Another 10 web operating systems reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| All this is unfortunate, because DesktopOnDemand offers a lot. It is,
| simply put, Linux, in your web browser. Given the complexity of Linux as
| opposed to many other apps described here, I won’t go into details - just
| imagine one of those Live CD Linux distros inside a web browser window.
| Needless to say, the choice of applications is fantastic, and you can
| definitely use DOD to do real work, store data (you get 1 GB of storage),
| browse (anonymously) the Internet etc. The speed is not stellar but it’s
| bearable, and the stability and functionality is, well, pretty much the
| same of any light or Live CD Linux distro.
`----

http://franticindustries.com/blog/2007/06/16/another-10-web-operating-systems-reviewed/

There's a great degree of Linux there, either at application/artwork level
or at the server level.

Related:

eyeOS - the open source web desktop [Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| There is definitely potential here, and I think extending free and
| open source software into the web desktop space can only be a good
| thing. At the moment, I don?t think I'd seriously end up using it.
| I don't think it is necessarily eyeOS's fault, as the project is
| extremely innovative and well done for what it is.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/eyeos-the-open-source-web-desktop/

Desktop On Demand - New WebOS Launches

,----[ Quote ]