Re: Roy Schestowitz is a god . . .

Dr. Robert wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Thursday 14 June 2007 13:30 \__
>>
>>> __/ [ Dr. Robert ] on Thursday 14 June 2007 12:57 \__

>>> I prefer comparisons to the Mafia (and no, I'm not kidding) because
>>> Satan has a religious connotation. Call it a digital Mafia if you like.
>>> There are relationships with the Big Media Mafia as well. It's the 21st
>>> century's equivalent of a more physical example that parellels it (from
>>> the 20th century). There is clear interest in making digital gaps
>>> prevail while feeding one's greed. As Red Hat's CEO recently said, this
>>> leads to terrorism, among other things. The most prevalent American
>>> mentality has turned into an insult that'll knock this innovative
>>> country off and into the bottom leagues, which is truly a shame. What
>>> ever happened to the Land of the Free? Even a free market seems to be
>>> forbidden.
>
> Shuttleworth's comment on Mafiasoft's illegal racketeering (which you've
> recently quoted) pretty much hits the nail on the head.
>
>    Last week:
>
>    [Mark Shuttleworth Interview]
>
>    ,----[ Quote ]
>    | Microsoft is asking people to pay them for patents, but they won't
>    | say which ones. If a guy walks into a shop and says: "It's an
>    | unsafe neighbourhood, why don't you pay me 20 bucks and I'll make
>    | sure you're okay," that's illegal. It's racketeering. What Microsoft
>    | is doing with intellectual property is exactly the same. [...]
>    | So you wouldn't do a deal?
>    | No, absolutely not. [...]
>    `----
>
>    http://mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6672

Earlier today I found further evidence that Ubuntu will be among those
forces which (along with Red Hat) will stubbornly fight Microsoft's dream
of making money from a competitor's sale, whose product is simply better
and cannot be fought against with the traditional closed-source development
model (bar the FUD).

>>> Thanks for the kind words, lurker. :-) Muchly appreciated!
>
> It was thought that you deserved at least an occasional compliment.
>

>> Oh, wait. I didn't see the change to the subject line, which indicated
>> I replied to a troll.
>
> Not at all.  It was hoped that the removal of the offensive "damn idiot"
> portion of the subject line would be correctly perceived as turning an
> insult into a compliment, albeit with a twisted sense of humour (and
> despite any religious overtones) -- you know, sorta like taking a sad
> song and making it better, and all that.  Presumably, it would be pref-
> erable to be referred to as "a god" rather than "a god damn idiot."
>
> It's a shame when one's ability to recognize the difference between an
> insult and a compliment is rendered ineffective by accumulated abuse.
> Don't let abusive Wintrolls and Mafiasoft shills get you down, Roy.

Thanks. Gary Stewart's nymshifting to "Dr. Pain" and "Dr. Hurt" is what rang
a warning bell. He knows that under the name "flatfish" he just won't be
visible anymore.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"