Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Disappoints Acer and GPU Makers

Oldtech wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Acer revises down this year's revenue growth projection
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Acer Inc yesterday revised downward its revenue growth to less than 40
>> | percent, citing a weaker-than-expected impact from the release of
>> | Microsoft's Vista operating system.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2007/06/15/2003365394
>
> Perhaps they will observe, even maybe follow, the phenomenal growth of
> Lenovo, with installed Linux systems, and Dell Ubuntu units?
>>
>> Microsoft Vista failed to spur graphics board business
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | More data from Jon Peddie Research confirmed the anecdotal
>> | evidence the channel has relayed to us about the introduction
>> | of Microsoft Vista.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40343
>
> Wait, wait!  Don't tell me!  No good graphics systems actually work well
> on Microsoft's bloated platform, Vista, that is about 20 to 25% SLOWER
> than XP!  All of Hollywood, perhaps followed by Bollywood studios, are
> rendering in the GIMP, on GNU/Linux clusters!

They use Linux on the desktop too, but it's a fairly 'closed' system in the
sense that it's work-oriented and no tinkering/surfing is involved.

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
|                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
|                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Here is a good list:

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Digital Domain
|     * Disney
|     * Double Negative
|     * DreamWorks Animation
|     * Flash Film Works
|     * Hammerhead
|     * Industrial Light & Magic
|     * Moving Picture Company
|     * Pixar
|     * Rhythm & Hues
|     * Sony Pictures
|     * Tippett
|     * Weta Digital
`----

http://linuxmovies.org/studios.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  RHAT GNU/Linux   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 2  2007-06-16 03:38                   last=