Re: [News] GPLv3 Goes Live Today

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Friday 29 June 2007 11:49 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 29 June 2007 10:58 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>>
>>> </snip >
>>>
>>> What the smeg does sun have to do with it?
>>> They don't own the kernel, Alan doesn't either but he's contributed a
>>> buttload more stuff to it than sun ever has.
>>>
>>> The kernel will remain GPL2 until every single contributor agrees to the
>>> license change. So, it'll stay GPL2. (There'll always be some dissenters)
>>
>> True, it'll stay GPLv2 without a doubt, but for how long?
>
> As long as at least one contributor says so. That can be (hopefully) for a
> *very* long time
>
>> Think about how long GPLv2 has been around.
>
> What has that to do with anything?

GPLv4 might be a long way/distance ahead. It's not replaced by something else
any time soon (it doesn't seem like it anyway).

>> Others projects will fly ahead with GPLv3
>
> Oh, GPL3 is the secret mantra to make projects faster? Good to know that

If it attracts attention, then it develops faster. This is why Linux is
pressured by Sun.

>> and some will appeal to developers that find their code compromised by
>> Novell/TiVo and all sorts of other (?)nasties(?).
>
> Explain how code is "compromised". Hint: It isn't

Wine is one among the projects that are concerned about Novell's actions.

>> Projects that adopt
>> GPLv3 could lead to envy because they might be perceived as more
>> modernised.
>
> Yup. *That* certainly will be the reason. Snort
> Explain how slapping a license on something will change its perceived value
>
>> Wait until things get uglier over at Microsoft's Good Ol' Boyz
>> Club.
>
> I don't think that MS really gives a damn about GPL3. They are not affected
> by it as long as they don't use GPLed code.
>
> This is whishful thinking of the worst sort. It gets OSS nowhere

I beg to differ. On many occasions Microsoft openly said that its May 14th
attack on Free software was fuelled by GPLv3, which was to them the last
straw. I can find you the reference if you wish.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
Tasks: 139 total,   1 running, 138 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie