Re: [News] GPLv3 Goes Live Today

____/ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 29 June 2007 10:58 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>> Apologies for linking to self, but I'm too lazy to extract the original
>> sources.
>
> </snip >
>
> What the smeg does sun have to do with it?
> They don't own the kernel, Alan doesn't either but he's contributed a
> buttload more stuff to it than sun ever has.
>
> The kernel will remain GPL2 until every single contributor agrees to the
> license change. So, it'll stay GPL2. (There'll always be some dissenters)

True, it'll stay GPLv2 without a doubt, but for how long? Think about how long
GPLv2 has been around. Others projects will fly ahead with GPLv3 and some will
appeal to developers that find their code compromised by Novell/TiVo and all
sorts of other (?)nasties(?). Projects that adopt GPLv3 could lead to envy
because they might be perceived as more modernised. Wait until things get
uglier over at Microsoft's Good Ol' Boyz Club.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
Swap:  1510068k total,   656200k used,   853868k free,    58496k cached