Re: Photographer Fears Vista, Tries Linux Instead

  • Subject: Re: Photographer Fears Vista, Tries Linux Instead
  • From: "High Plains Thumper" <highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Mar 2007 07:35:09 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"[H]omer" wrote:
> Mike spake thusly:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Linux, a photographer's dilemma. . .
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ] Obviously, alot has changed since Mandrake
>>> version 8. Some time ago, I tried a live CD for Ubuntu version
>>> 5.10 - and was very impressed. As we speek, I'm downloading
>>> Ubuntu 6.10. .... Once again, I'm flirting with the opensource
>>> idea because upgrading to Window's VISTA simply isn't going to
>>> happen for me. `----
>>>
>>> http://www.pixelessence.net/linux.html
>>
>> I'm a photographer and use Windows. Using GIMP instead of
>> Photoshop is one of the worst ideas anyone could possibly have.
>
> No. Paying more for your software, than what you paid for the
> camera, is by far a worse idea, especially when said software is
> mostly just vastly overrated hype.

A real photographer uses tools and could care less as long as it
works.  It is like using a camera.  I have done weddings using 35 mm
and 120 roll film with a twin reflex, multiple flash set-ups,
umbrellas, etc.  Only thing bad about photography is just like with
music.  It is hard to make a decent living out of it compared with
other trades.

Simple twin lens reflex Yashica A I used for several weddings takes
great pictures if one stops it down to 5.6 F-stop or smaller.  Back in
the '50s it was considered an inexpensive camera.  I picked up as NOS
on E-bay.  It has no meter, but I use a separate flash meter anyway.

Give a photographer a simple camera, and he will still take great
pictures.  A Hasselblad or Nikon a professional photographer does not
make.  Same goes with PC software tools.

Same goes with computer programmers .... or anything for matter of
fact.

I think overall people have gotten into this mode where tool brands
make a professional employee.  They don't.

Bad pictures suck no matter what professional equipment and set-up
they are made from.

There's nothing wrong with GIMP.

--
HPT