Re: OpenOffice

  • Subject: Re: OpenOffice
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:52:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Maverick ] on Friday 09 March 2007 22:47 \__

> Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> On 2007-03-09, mlw <mlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>I have used OpenOffice.Org since it was "Star Office," and prefer it to MS
>>>office. I have no problem producing documents that can be read by MS
>>>Office, and I haven't seen a single "real" (as in from a client or friend)
>>>document it couldn't read. I have seen documents crafted to show
>>>OpenOffice.Org weaknesses, but I have never gotten a document, let me
>>>rephrase that, I vaguely recall having a problems with an OOOLLLD version
>>>of Star Office, but since OpenOffice.Org, I have not had one problem
>>>reading or sending documents to users of MS Office.
>>

>> But Roy has told us (many times) that Office suffers from horrible
>> vendor lock.  Once you use it, you are forever stuck, the story goes.
>>

> And the story is true.  That is what M$ does best... moving the
> screeching goal posts.  They do it to throw off the competition.

Why does Microsoft offer Office 2007 to Australian students for just AUS$75?
Because MSO07 'extends' what it known to be compatible with OOo2.x. I have
used OOo several time before (I prefer LyX/TeX, but not for
bells-and-whistle-rich presentations). I know that everything which I tried
(including complex macros from Office 2003) just works!

Why Australia you ask? Perhaps because of stuff like this:

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.

When you lock crucial data, you control the user. And I needn't go further
than yesterday's news to prove this...

Microsoft, DOD to build medical data warehouse

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=309

`----

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12558-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=31110&messageID=576835&start=-1

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie