Re: Linux servers last *twice* as long as windows ones....

  • Subject: Re: Linux servers last *twice* as long as windows ones....
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:01:25 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:HwLE+1sG8cbT0fx4G47xfT3dHD8=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Paul Bramscher <pfbram_nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Mark Kent wrote:
>> William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> ....but us linux users already knew that, didn't we! ;-)
>>> http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html
>>>

>> The green agenda is huge now - so I think the whole "drive an upgrade
>> every 18 months" game is over.  The funny thing is that one reason I've
>> kept my landrovers for so long (I've only ever changed them when they
>> were stolen!), is that they're very fuel efficient (if you have a
>> diesel), and last for decades, so there's no landfill problem.
>> Unfortunately, they've got caught into this whole "chelsea tractor"
>> debate, which is a shame.  Most of the vehicles in that debate are no
>> more long-lived than a standard car, so there is little positive
>> argument for them.
>>
>> Still, linux is great for the environment.  How long was it before
>> Windows was even able to use the idle instructions in processors?
>
> Excellent commentary, and let's take it one step further -- into the
> realm of electrons (and how they get shaped).  The goals of both the
> environmental movement and software engineering (when it is better
> practiced) share a lot in common: reduce, reuse, recycle.
>
> Good software engineering reduces bloat.  Reuse/recycle are goals of
> so-called design patterns and abstraction.  To the extent you can
> solve the general problem, you can reuse/recycle greater amounts of
> code).

The rambling bullshit and the sucking up to Mark Kent would indicate
that this is another one of Roy Schestowitz's piss poor nyms.

> The general goal is to write as little throwaway code as possible.

What does that mean? A bit like "the aim is not drop a brick on your own
head"?

> I'm not suggesting it's such a wonderful thing to save electrons,
> because they're scarce.  Rather, there's also a huge implied savings
> in development efforts -- less of a human footprint (cubicles, cars,
> offices, electricity, the whole works) entailed when as little
> reworking as possible is required.  Ideally, I wish our whole society
> could trend this way -- eventually get to the point where we only need
> to work perhaps 2-3 days/week and enjoy 4-5 day weekends.

Right on dude. Right on. Go and take some more lithium.