Re: Linux servers last *twice* as long as windows ones....

  • Subject: Re: Linux servers last *twice* as long as windows ones....
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:04:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 09 March 2007 13:50 \__

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html

> The green agenda is huge now - so I think the whole "drive an upgrade
> every 18 months" game is over.  The funny thing is that one reason I've
> kept my landrovers for so long (I've only ever changed them when they
> were stolen!), is that they're very fuel efficient (if you have a
> diesel), and last for decades, so there's no landfill problem.
> Unfortunately, they've got caught into this whole "chelsea tractor"
> debate, which is a shame.  Most of the vehicles in that debate are no
> more long-lived than a standard car, so there is little positive
> argument for them.
>
> Still, linux is great for the environment.  How long was it before
> Windows was even able to use the idle instructions in processors?

Some other overlooked factors:

- Packaging material (distribution)
- Reuse reduces duplication (and thus 'cubicle time', either research or
  development)
- Legacy hardware support (not just system requirements, but also drivers)

Power consumption and hardeare replacement cycles are the more obvious
factors though. They also make a lot more difference.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
  2:00pm  up  22:07,  4 users,  load average: 1.24, 0.63, 0.46