Re: C.O.L.A. OFFICIAL Newcomer FAQ and Primer

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 09 Mar 2007 06:33:37 +0000
<1920518.xjuCxE24dp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Filter all posts from < Roy.Schitzowitz@xxxxxxxxx >. It's an abusive identity
> thief seeking to create backlack against me.

Interesting word; is that a combination of backlash and ack-ack?  :-)

Backlash: the space between the thickness of a gear tooth
and the width of the space between teeth in the mating
gear, designed to allow for a film of lubricant, binding
from heat expansion and eccentricity, or manufacturing
inaccuracies.  (Industrial Revolution origins)

It's also used to refer to a recoil or revolt against a
rather unpopular social or political change.

ack-ack: antiaircraft fire or arms.  (World War II origins)

One could also make the case for "flak", which is another
term for anti-aircraft fire, especially from the viewpoint
of those it's aiming for.  But "backflack" probably just
wouldn't work...

(from http://dictionary.reference.com)

It's a pity for Microsoft that they can't use backlash as
an excuse for such poor software.  :-)  Granted, there
are quirks in Linux as well -- I've just discovered
that Castor (http://www.castor.org) seems to convert
newlines to spaces, which makes the output from Glade-2
(http://glade.gnome.org/) a bit harder to use in a
Swing-type application, as it turns out that the enumerated
lists in such things as drop-down combo boxes are simply
typed in, one per line.

I'm also still struggling with UML.  2.6.20.1 apparently
now doesn't want to build because of either a missing file,
or a bad search path; it can't find asm/user.h for some
oddball reason.  So OSS isn't quite perfect, and I'll probably
have to tweak it a bit.

But enough about me.  :-)  Followups to COLA exclusively.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };