[News] At Present State, Microsoft's 'Monopoly Enabler' Would Probably Be Rejected

Any objections? For Open XML standard, yes (still)

,----[ Quote ]
| But the number of countries with reservations about Open XML in its
| current form remains large enough that the format might not be
| approved by ISO if it were put to a vote Thursday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1043415617&rid=-50

Dirty tricks from Microsoft, intended to sabotage OpenDocument adoption, are
listed below. It's a very partial list and it remains unknown what truly
happens behind the scenes.

Related:

Microsoft and the OOXML ISO standard process

,----[ Quote ]
| Both Computerworld and the Standards Blog report that ECMA answered
| the objections that several ISO members had against fast-tracking the
| ECMA 376 standard.

[Microsoft pays for Wikipedia edits]

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/01/24/microsoft.wikipedia.ap/index.html

When is a standard not a standard?

,----[ Quote ]
| OOXML's method of dealing with the problem in effect locks out
| all applications that are not Microsoft Office, whereas ODF's
| method keeps the standard vendor neutral and usable by any
| office suite
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2110

Microsoft playing three card monte with XML conversion

,----[ Quote ]
| Gary Edwards of the Open Document Foundation, a leading member
| of its technical committee, says Microsoft is playing proprietary
| games aimed at controlling XML file formats and preventing the
| Open Document Format from gaining a foothold.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=959

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.
|
|    Quinn:  I believe that the ODF decision will stand. I believe MS
|    will continue to do anything and everything it can to stop it. And I
|    know my seat wasn't even empty and they (MS) took another shot at
|    the title, to no avail. This horse is out of the barn and I see no
|    way for it to go back in. Remember, all we are asking for was and is
|    for Microsoft to commit to open and the standards process; so
|    everyone looks really bad if the plug gets pulled at this juncture.

[ECMA:] A Coin-in-the-Slot Standards Organization

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/12/a-coin-in-the-slot-standards-organization/