Re: [News] Oracle's Effort to Hurt Red Hat Has Failed

> Red Hat, Oracle: Cross Currents in the Linux Market
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Barnicle's findings contrast with chatter that Oracle's Linux effort
> | had fallen flat. Barnicle notes that his survey can't be taken as
> | gospel, but it is worth noting.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070319/29875_id.html?.v=1

Interesting:

.----
| 15 percent of Red Hat users are considering a switch to Oracle. The
| good news: That tally is down from 33 percent in a November survey by
| Barnicle.
|
| Only 2 Oracle users switched from other vendors. One jumped ship from
| Red Hat and the other from Hewlett-Packard. Oracle fares best with
| enterprises with more than 5,000 employees.
|
| 35 percent of respondents reported using Novell, down from 42 percent
| in November. Of the respondents, 13 percent cited Novell as their
| primary vendor, down 1 percent from November.
`----

So after the initial hype, less than half those who initially considered
switching to Oracle, are still considering it, with Oracle's current
"wins" standing at only *two* customers (of those surveyed). Novell have
similarly seen a dramatic loss of customers (presumably over to Red Hat).

Well nobody saw *that* coming. [smirk]

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5
 14:21:29 up 28 days,  1:46,  2 users,  load average: 1.44, 0.67, 0.46