Re: [News] Oracle's Effort to Hurt Red Hat Has Failed

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 19 March 2007 14:23 \__

>> Red Hat, Oracle: Cross Currents in the Linux Market
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Barnicle's findings contrast with chatter that Oracle's Linux effort
>> | had fallen flat. Barnicle notes that his survey can't be taken as
>> | gospel, but it is worth noting.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070319/29875_id.html?.v=1
>
> Interesting:
>
> .----
> | 15 percent of Red Hat users are considering a switch to Oracle. The
> | good news: That tally is down from 33 percent in a November survey by
> | Barnicle.
> |
> | Only 2 Oracle users switched from other vendors. One jumped ship from
> | Red Hat and the other from Hewlett-Packard. Oracle fares best with
> | enterprises with more than 5,000 employees.
> |
> | 35 percent of respondents reported using Novell, down from 42 percent
> | in November. Of the respondents, 13 percent cited Novell as their
> | primary vendor, down 1 percent from November.
> `----
>
> So after the initial hype, less than half those who initially considered
> switching to Oracle, are still considering it, with Oracle's current
> "wins" standing at only *two* customers (of those surveyed). Novell have
> similarly seen a dramatic loss of customers (presumably over to Red Hat).
>
> Well nobody saw *that* coming. [smirk]

At least the fool behind it has a sense of humour. See the end of the video
at the bottom.
http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/14/developers-still-flock-to-open-source-software/

They continue to repel their own customers. They have apparently sent a
warning shot at MySQL AB as well,. suggesting they would have a go at
'Unbreakable MySQL'.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
roy      pts/5                         Tue Mar 20 02:58 - 02:58  (00:00)