Re: Novell in Denial, Spins Facts

__/ [ ml2mst ] on Saturday 17 March 2007 05:01 \__

> On 16 mrt, 23:00, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> > Novell's Microsoft Deal Is 'All About Customers'
>>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>>
>> >http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=24987
>>
>> Supports the deal?  Support the implication that there is some potential
>> legal liability associated with using Linux?  I think not.  I wonder how
>> long before Novell is dead.
>
> Gosh, I'm afraid you are so darn right Mark!
>
> You are probably already aware of the fact that I am a long term SUSE
> Linux fanboy and when Novell acquired SuSE a couple of years ago, my
> first reaction was "Oh damned no" ;)
>
> When openSUSE was launched I told myself, you're so darn wrong you F
> bastard. But now it seems I was right, right from the start. I am
> afraid, this is the beginning of the end of my favorite Linux
> distro :`(
>
> I recently upgraded to openSUSE 10.2 and I'm quite happy with it, but
> I'm afraid this will be my last (open)SUSE upgrade.

Novell might die. Opensuse/SuSE will never die because of the GPL licence.
It's an excellent build and someone will maintain the code for many years to
come. Look at Slackware. Even with easy stuff like Ubuntu, Slackware is
still around. All the developers need to do is integrate the latest package
and then test. They can also 'borrow' from the leaders (e.g. CNR/Synaptic,
dropping Debian codebase in favour of Ubuntu).

> I was a little annoyed, by the fact, Roy gave up on SUSE, because as
> far as I can remember Roy used (open)SUSE to. Now Roy switched to
> Redhat and I really thought that his anti Novell  stuff was right over
> the top. But facing reality Roy is so darn right IMHO.
>
> However, It's not easy for me to give up on (open)SUSE. It's pretty
> much an alike experience of your partner dieing. My point is, that if
> you are able to give up on something or someone you love that much,
> you must be a sick bastard.

Don't give up on SUSE. If it works for you, stick with it. It's a good
distro. Boycott Novell, not SUSE. Novell does many products and as long as
you don't pay them, they'll get the message. Regardless, SuSE /will/ live.
It could return to its roots, without Novell.

> Of cause I will give up on openSUSE some day, but it requires time.

Don't think about it. I wouldn't. It's Free software, so it's /YOUR/ Linux,
not Novell's. You don't need to pay them for a licence to rent the OS.
That's the Microsoft way. It's the past, not the future. And they want to
move to a subscription/ad-assisted service, just like Google.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "The only source is Open Source"
roy      pts/5                         Sat Mar 17 02:46 - 02:47  (00:00)