Re: [News] Dell Asks Which Linux Distro We Want

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 15 March 2007 08:53 \__

>>> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 20:46 \__

>>> Every time H-P and Dell speak about Linux, the RSS feeds get wiped by
>>> variations of this news. Other more minor stories leak out of viewing
>>> threshold. Why? Because every Australian/Chinese/African daily newspaper
>>> writes about it. Suddenly, when Joe Bloggs is advised to try Linux he
>>> would respond differently. He read about it in the paper. I remember the
>>> time when my mom told me she has read about Linux and Firefox in the
>>> newspaper. It changed her perception completely. She then made some
>>> enquiries.
>>>

>> Ah yeah - wasn't there some ongoing discussion with your sister on this
>> one?
>
> I don't talk to her about computers anymore. Same with my mom. Let them keep
> their computer trouble to themselves, until they get fed up. I steer away
> from such matters.
>
> I previously mentioned this in the context of third-party apps. Sisters says
> I shouldn't install anything other than the stuff which Microsoft prebundles
> (because it leads to Registry bloat). To me, this is a form of technical
> sabotage, by design. Add to this equation things like Defender and
> compatibility issues in Vista. Hostile, hostile, hostile.

You can easily see just how effective a strategy lock-in can be, if you
can use marketing to persuade your mark that it's in their best
interests to ignore any competing offering.  It does rely on people not
really understanding the underlying technology, but if you control a
"certification" system, then you can readily do that, too.