Re: [News] DRM is Dying, But Draconian Studios Want to Control Your Television

> DRM won't last: Zimmermann
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "I think that in the long run, we will look back at DRM as a
>| temporary phase," says Phil Zimmermann, inventor of the PGP
>| (Pretty Good Privacy) cryptography system for e-mail.
> `----
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1406
>
> American Studios' Secret Plan to Lock Down European TV Devices
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| An international consortium of television and technology companies is
>| devising draconian anti-consumer restrictions for the next generation of
>| TVs in Europe and beyond, at the behest of American entertainment giants.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Having failed in those efforts, they have now turned to creating
>| technical standards that, when backed by law, are likely to
>| restrict consumers' existing rights and threaten the future of
>| technological innovation.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/american-studios-secret-plan-lock-down-european-tv-devices

Does anything good ever come out of the US these days?  Personally, I
will not buy anything which doesn't have a standard, unencumbered I/O
capability.  I've got a few DVB devices, all of which provide standard
video out - they work fine.

My suspicion is that if the current mainstream manufacturers try to
shaft their own customers in this way at the request of some Americans,
then people will get upset and will look for alternative suppliers.  Of
course, we cannot underestimate the power of the content owners, indeed,
many people think that they managed to kill DAT, although I would
suggest that DAT was doomed from the start anyway.

We need the EU government to take a much stronger pro-consumer stance
than it has done to date, although I can see a trade war springing out
of this.