Re: Can Sharepoint run on Linux?

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Tuesday 13 March 2007 21:36 \__

> John A. Bailo wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.pr-inside.com/competition-for-microsoft-amp-co-r58135.htm

>> O3Spaces looks great...but the pricing!   It's $59 per user!
>>
>> WSS 3.0 is free with Windows 2003 Server...that can be had for $999.
>> That means for the price of the OS and the Sharepoint, you can afford
>> less than 20 O3Spaces licenses!
>
> Thinking about this more though, it seems like the really big cost is in
> the Office suite, and with OpenOffice that cost goes to zero.   Also, I
> bet I would only need as many licenses as workers -- proving a web
> interface to the data (without OpenOffice hooks) would probably be free.

A message I sent on March 10th seems to have not reached UseNet (what's with
the excessive crossposting anyway?).

I said:

"What about your Alfresco test installation? It's GPL now and it's
improving."

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
Swap:  1036184k total,   367500k used,   668684k free,    73060k cached